Flossing & brushing your teeth is very important in maintaining your oral health & smile. Flossing does about 40% of the work required to remove bacteria or plaque from the gaps in between your teeth. The other 60% comes from brushing your teeth so both brushing & flossing work together to keep you teeth healthy.

Plaque generates acid, which can cause cavities, irritate the gums, & lead to gum disease. Each tooth has five surfaces. If you don’t floss, you are leaving at least two of the surfaces unclean. This is where plaque grows & can damage your teeth if not checked regularly.
Below our some questions people regular ask us in our dental clinic.

Is it better to brush or floss?

Brushing and flossing are both important for your oral health. Both should be done together. Brushing only removes plaque from the front and back surfaces of your teeth. Flossing, on the other hand, allows you to remove plaque from between your teeth and underneath the gums.

Is it better to brush or floss first?

Some argue that flossing should come first because, when flossing, plaque and bits of food are loosened and should be brushed away after you’ve finished flossing. However, it can be done either way, but if you flossed first we would then suggest rinsing your mouth out to remove any left over plaque or food that might be left on the teeth.

It’s never too late to start flossing. If you haven’t been flossing, your gums might bleed when you start. As your gums and teeth will not be used to the sensation. This should stop after a few days but if it doesn’t, call your dentist.  

Need help further help or a dental checkup?

If you need further help in regards to your oral health you can give us a call at our dental clinic on  (08) 8382 2410